Fr Colin Mary Edwards, OFM Conv.
All Saints Friary,
Redclyffe Road, Barton,
Urmston Manchester, M41 7LG
Phone: 0161 749 7626
All Saints - Barton, Manchester
All Saints at Barton-upon-Irwell was built between 1865 and 1868. Built through the munificence of Sir Humphrey de Trafford, Bt. The church (replacing a chapel of c.1830) was added on to the pre-existing de Trafford Chantry of 1863, which is at the NE. angle of the church. Alternating courses of Runcorn (red) and Painswick (white) stone are used interiorally to great effect, with carving (including High Altar & reredos) by RL Boulton. Chancel windows by JH Powell of Hardman & Co; chancel mural (showing EW Pugin) by JA Pippett. Sacristies of 1901-02 by Pugin & Pugin; Lady Chapel tryptych (1902) attributed to S Pugin Powell.
Cardinal Manning preached at the solemn opening in June 1868.
The Friars Minor Conventual have cared for the church, described as ‘A Cathedral in miniature’, since 1962, and until recently 'The Crusader' magazine was printed on site.
The church is listed as Grade 1 and is considered to be the chief work of the architect Edward Welby Pugin. It is a remarkably complete example of Victorian Catholic Church architecture in the Gothic style.
Pevsner called it ‘Pugin’s masterwork’. A great deal of work has already been done - stabilising the West wall and restoring the masonry and bell tower but a return of dry rot has necessitated further work.