Friar Vincent Kennedy OFM Conv.
Fr. Terence Bateman OFM Conv.
St. Anthony’s Friary
1 Elmsley Road
Tel. 0151 724 2109
Fax. 0151 724 2553
Mon - Fri: 12noon
Sunday: 9.30am, 11am, 6pm
Holy Days: 9.30am, 12pm, 7.30pm
St. Anthony of Padua - Mossley Hill, Liverpool
In 1923, the Franciscan Conventuals were offered a new parish in the Mossley Hill section of the city of Liverpool.
The friars in Liverpool have always been ardent in promoting education, knowing well that it has the power to transform people and the lives they live. The Conventuals have always emphasised that virtue and learning are the two pillars of human dignity and that both are wonderful forms of worship.
The original temporary church of St. Anthony’s was dedicated by the Archbishop of Liverpool on 7th November 1926, the centenary year of the death of St. Francis. Six years later, in 1932, which also marked the twenty-fifth year of the return of the Friars to England after the Reformation, the present new church was blessed and consecrated. The Minister General sent his special Seraphic Blessings expressing the joy and delight of the entire Order on that auspicious occasion. Along with the Papal and General's Blessings, messages were also sent from the great Basilicas of the Order, Assisi and Padua, whose patrimony the new church was to share.
St. Anthony’s is a solid, dignified and artistic church. Lerario’s magnificent rending of the Last Supper above the main altar is so touching that it elevates the spirit of every worshiper. The same Italian artist's works adorn the rest of the sanctuary and other shrines in the church. The St. Anthony’s altar on the left aisle is decorated with scenes from the saint’s life painted in a capturing style. On the opposite end is the altar of Our Lady, Queen and Protectress of the Franciscan Order. St. Anthony’s adjoining primary school helps to educate the young children of the neighbourhood.
St. Anthony’s Friary, Liverpool, shares the same historical heritage as that of the church. The Friary served as the Novitiate House of the English Province from 1947-1955. At various times since its canonical establishment St. Anthony's in Liverpool served as the curia for the central administration of the Order in Britain and Ireland.